The Open Water Scuba Course is the first step in your scuba diving training. With the completion of this course an individual will be able to scuba dive anywhere in the world based on the recreational diving limits set by ACUC International (American Canadian Underwater Certification). The course is 10 weeks in length and runs every Thursday from 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM. In the weekly 3.5 hour classes you will receive 2 hours of hands on pool time and 1.5 hours of in-class instructional teaching. In addition to the one night a week at the pool, each night you will be given homework to complete for the next class.
After completing the 7 weeks of classroom lessons and pool training you will write a final exam based on what you have learned. The exam is divided into three sections: multiple-choice questions, hand signals, and practical questions on decompression dive tables. To pass the exam and earn your certification, you must get a minimum of 80% overall in each module of the multiple choice section, and 100% on both the hand signals and dive tables section.
After writing the exam you are required to perform some of the scuba skills you learned in the pool in a body of open water namely a lake, quarry, or ocean. Instructors will evaluate your skills and suggest improvements. You will have to make yourself available for this one weekend to complete the course. The checkout dive weekend as it is named usually happens the last weekend in May. We require your presence Saturday and Sunday from 8:00 AM to somewhere around 4:00 PM each day.
- Application for training shall be limited to persons 18 years and older and to minors (14+ years of age) if their parent or legal guardian is taking the course at the same time.
- You are required to be reasonably fit. You are required to complete a medical questionnaire and have a complete physical by your family doctor or province certified physician. A form we provide will have to be signed by your physician and returned to EUC.
- Be able to communicate effectively with a good understanding of the English language.
- Have basic swimming skills and be comfortable in the water.
- The cost of the EUCs open water course $375.00. Students who participated in the Try SCUBA session will receive a $15.00 discount.
- Payment in full is required by the first open water class.
- Method of payment is personal cheque or cash.
- Your first year's membership to the Etobicoke Underwater Club, including:
- Membership into the Ontario Underwater Council (OUC) and OUC liability insurance
- Quarterly issues of Fins Below, our club news letter
- Access to club organized shore and boat chartered dives, based on your experience
- Access to additional dive buddies when you need them and their contact information
- Access to continuing education scuba specialty courses to further your diving experience
- Access to personal safety courses like CPR, First Aid, AED, Oxygen Provider, Advanced Oxygen Provider, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries and Onsite Neurological Assessment
- Access to social activities and family events
- Access to web site's "Members Section"
- Advantages of group rates on dive trips and vacation packages
- Summer rental of tanks, BCD's, and regulator for one low price
- Personal use of our pool every Thursday night, for trying out new equipment or keeping fit
- All course materials including: textbook, handouts, and other learning aids
- Dive log book and decompression dive tables
- Eight week course including all classroom, pool time, and exam
- Use of scuba equipment during pool sessions, including regulators, BCDs, weights, and tanks
- All air supplied in your tanks for the pool sessions
- Your certification card and ACUC certificate allowing you to dive anywhere around the world
- No Additional cost for your checkout weekend certifying dives
Fee does not include
- Personal snorkeling gear, including: mask, fins & booties, snorkel (approximately $150.00 from dive shops)
- Equipment rental for your checkout weekend, including Tank, BCD, regulator, weights, weight belt, and full 7mm wet suit (approximately. $80.00)
- Air fills for the checkout weekend (approximately. $30 for the weekend)
- Accommodations on the checkout weekend. We encourage students to camp at the dive site (approximately $25.00 per person camping for the weekend)
- Food for the checkout dive weekend. Students are encouraged to bring additional food themselves. A club barbeque is usually held at supper on Saturday, with students invited to attend. Cost and details determined by the Entertainment Chairperson.
- Transportation to and from the checkout dive weekend
Requirements for Pool Nights
- Night 1
- Bathing suit, towel, shower supplies, T-shirt, writing materials (pen & paper)
- Night 2+
- All above, plus textbook, mask, fins, booties, and snorkel.
Please Note: Medical form signed, by your doctor, must be submitted before we allow you to breathe compressed air - usually night three.
It is strongly encouraged that you attend all classes, given the amount of material to be covered. If you miss a class and fall behind, we will work with you to make up the class. If you plan on missing more than two classes, you should wait to sign up for a course when more time permits. We respectfully request that you not miss more then one class during your training. It is appreciated if you arrive 10 to 15 minutes early to every class, to get settled in. Classes start at 7:00 PM sharp. If you are going to miss a class you should notify your instructor as soon as possible. Your instructor will notify you by phone of any class cancellations.
if you are interested in the above course, you can register for the next available training session(s)
EUC offers a full range of scuba training courses.